Search This Blog

About me

Followers

Twitter

My Blog List

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.
Thursday 14 February 2013


Of Poseidon is the first installment of the Of Poseidon series by Anna Banks

Book description:

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

This book was definitely a twist on the whole mermaid, Poseidon, Triton and Atlantis mythology. Mermaids or Syrena people as they liked to be called in this book ( they take offense to being called mermaids) have always fascinated me. This book was quite enchanting, I loved the mystery of the story line and the love stories.

Emma is one tough nut to crack, she's awkward, temperamental and lovable. She's one of those characters you could easily bond with. Each person who reads this book could identify with her in some form. She's different from other people but she has no idea why, nor does she want to believe that there may be something special about her. Like most good young adult books the lead characters opinion always changes when the second main character pops in. Enters Galen, he's your typical YA hottie except there is one big difference, he's a fish out of water (literally) among the humans. He's socially awkward, seems standoffish , yet straight forward. His one of those characters that grows spiritually throughout the story. You can't help but fall in love with him!!, regardless of his lack of knowledge of our ways of life, in fact it's down right adorable *swoons*.

As the plot of the story develops more you really start to piece things together which is very exciting ( makes me feel like I'm smart for figuring out a big secret before very one else :p). I really loved how this story is told both in Emma's perspective and Galen's , it gives you great insight and depth to the story and the undertones of each character. I wish more books were written like this not going to lie.

I honestly couldn't put this book down when I started it, I finished it in three days (would have been done in two if I hadn't worked) it was just so imaginative and captivating. It made me feel like a little kid reading it but in a good way. Funny though I kept thinking about The Little Mermaid and the song Part Of Your World hahah, made me really want to watch it.

I'm very glad that I decided last minute to buy this book, it was simply divine. The whole book was beautifully writer, Anna did a fantastic job with this book. It truly makes you think about what may be lurking in the depths of the ocean ;). It also shows us to accept people for their differences, that we can get along if we simply just try. I give this novel 5 stars! It was phenomenal!

So I hope you enjoy reading this novel and keep an eye out for the second installment titled Of Triton. Can't wait to see how Emma's and Galen's story will progress. Can't wait to see if there will be more heartwarming moments and more jaw dropping moments along with ah ha moments too!

1 comments:

Sherlyn said...

Sweet review! I really, REALLY have to get around to reading this XD