Search This Blog

About me

Followers

Twitter

My Blog List

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.
Thursday 24 January 2013
 
Breathe is the first instalment in the Sea Breeze series by Abbi Glines. This is by far the most tamed book of hers that I have read so far and that's saying something haha.
 
Book description:
 
Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.

Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationships never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.
 
Even though  I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it didn't grip me like her other books I have read. The big difference that I truly loved about this novel was the strong female character Sadie. It was great to see a young women take on the hardships of the world singlehandedly. I'm very used to her male characters coming from "the other side of the tracks" that this was a refreshing change. Sadie is a very modest, shy, timed person with great determination to not end up like her mother. She's not used to having people care for her, nor is she accustomed to accepting help from others. Throughout the novel you shall see Sadie grow in more ways then one. Her shell of innocence begins to slowly crumble and her protective barrier is brought down.
 
The plot of the story along with the ending was predictable but even so I enjoyed every single page of sappy romance(I'm a big sap that's why). I must admit I did *FanGirl* a little over Jax haha. His character is not exactly what you expect for someone who is as privileged as he is. I enjoyed watching Sadie's and Jax's relationship bloom even though they did hit a rocky patch. I think the part of the novel I loved the most though was all the side characters, for instance all the rest the help, they always seemed to touch my heart or make me laugh in someway.
 
This may not have been my most favourite book by Abbi but I appreciated the simplicity to this story, it wasn't over complicated nor frustrating. This was a refresher after reading her other books that kept me up all night and my heart working on over time hahah. So for this novel I'm giving it a 4.5 stars, it was good just not as captivating as the rest. I am however looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
 
 
 

0 comments: